This is your final module, which is one week long covering Trauma Care, and Disaster Preparedness. We will take our third exam this week and explore resources and methods to care for patients in trauma situations, while addressing disaster preparedness in health care. Next week we will be meeting for our final class day to present your digital stories!
At the end of this module, students will be able to:
- Identify and describe acute and chronic conditions related to trauma including pathophysiology, presenting signs and symptoms, etiology and contributing factors, sequelae and progression, and goals of nursing management
- Compare and contrast acute versus chronic disease illness related to the care of the trauma patient
- Identify key nursing management strategies for trauma patients
- Categorize appropriate nursing care planning (assessment, diagnosis, goals, interventions, evaluation) related to care of the trauma patient
Online Learning Activities
- Exam 3
- Virtual Field Trip for Disaster Preparedness – VoiceThread
Log in to CI Learn – Access the VoiceThread listed and complete at least one original post by 11/29. The rest of the VoiceThread peer comments or other comments can be completed before our final class meeting 12/2. I look forward to hearing about what you find!
- Trauma Lecture/Discussion
- Disaster Training Online
- Check it out: CDC Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Video Level One Trauma
- Online Activity: Complete either the NIHSS Training or the Disaster Preparedness Training, and print the certificate
- NIHSS Training: You need to register to create a login. Review the training materials and complete “Instructions and Training”. Then you will select a Test for Certification. You can come back every 2 years to renew.
- DIsaster Preparedness Training: You need to create a student identification number (SID) – follow the instructions on the page and then complete the training IS100.
- In-Class, Outside of Class, or Online Group Work: The classroom is available if you would like to work on your group project
Choose a disaster that has occurred in the last 10 years (in the United States or internationally). Research the event online. Blog your report about the event specifically addressing the healthcare perspective. What were the barriers for providing and/or accessing healthcare? Who responded? How long did it go on? How did socioeconomics and environment impact the event and environment? Imagine being a healthcare provider during that event. Are we better prepared for the next disaster?